Mrs. Anthony's Webpage
Welcome to Fifth Grade!
I am honored to be a part of such an incredible school district! Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 901-2600 (ext 2213) if you have any questions or concerns regarding your student or our school programs. I will reply or return your call as soon as I am able.
Take some time to investigate "My Links" on the left side of this home page
to research information, practice skills, or just have some fun!
Special Notes of Interest:
• Homework in fifth grade usually lasts between 45-60 minutes that is an important component of practicing and reinforcing concepts and skills. The majority of nightly assignments are not "graded" but do count towards a responsibility grade for that subject. Every student has an assignment book and writes nightly homework, upcoming assessments, and long-term projects in it during a specified time during our day. Parents are welcome (and encouraged!) to regularly view their child's assignment book and use it as a tool for other school commitments such as chorus, morning announcements, band lessons, or safety advisor duties.
• Students are encouraged to read 20 minutes at day and may sometimes required if a monthly reading calendar is in effect. Families are invited to take advantage of ordering from our economic Scholastic Book Club order form that makes the book selection process more personal for their children. Students will receive order forms on a monthly basis!
• Word Study spelling and sound patterns will be introduced on Mondays and a Quick Check Assessment will be given on Fridays. Students will be exposed to over 30 words each week that all fall under the same pattern. Students will participate in individual and peer work activities at school and are expected to complete assigned homework. The student assessment will be a combination of a short memorized list of words and should be able to identify words that fit the new pattern they have practiced throughout the week as well as a short dictation sentence.
• As in the past, fifth graders enjoy the benefits of switching classes for Math instruction. Please contact your student's math teacher directly with any questions or concerns that may arise. At any time, you can access the Math Expressions glossary, background, games and more using the Eduplace websites listed under my math links. Be sure to ask your child what websites they're exploring in school too!
• In Science, all students continue to enjoy the benefits of having a different fifth grade teacher to discover through inquiry and learn about Mixtures and Solutions, Living Systems, Food & Nutrition, Solar Energy and Variables. Please feel free to contact each teacher directly with any questions or concerns during that unit of study.
• Our Specials for the year are as follows: Day 1 Art, Day 2 Physical Education, Day 3 Music and Day 4 will be Guidance and Library. Please help your student to be prepared with any items they may need for a specific day such as sneakers and library books. Day 5 is a repeated special that reflects the marking period we are currently in. (Example: Day 1 special will also be the activity on Day 5 during the first marking period; the special on Day 2 will be repeated on Day 5 during our second marking cycle etc)
Throughout our year, we participate in S.T.E.A.M. activities embedded within our classes. Please feel free to collect S.T.E.A.M. Items items to help in our experiences!
We also like to celebrate birthdays and 1/2 birthdays in our classroom and students get the royal treatment for the day! If you want your child to bring in a class treat to share, please refer to the document below for suggestions that help us remain true to our health initiative!