Welcome to Room 213 the Home of 5-A!
Welcome to Fifth Grade!
I am honored to be a part of such an incredible school district!
Camp Hill students and their families are currently using Schoology to view various online assignments, announcements, check progress and access several quick links.
Please don't hesitate to email with questions or concerns so I can make this year's 5th grade experiences even better for our students and families!
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 901-2600 (ext 2213)
Feel free to take some time to investigate "My Links" on the left side of this home page to research information, practice skills, or just have some fun!
Special Notes of Interest:
- Homework in fifth grade may last between the district directed 45-60 minutes, which is an important component of practicing and reinforcing concepts, and skills. The majority of nightly assignments are not "graded" but do count towards a responsibility grade for that subject. Each student has an assignment book and writes nightly homework, upcoming assessments, and long-term projects in it during first thing in the morning. Parents are welcome (and encouraged!) to regularly view their child's assignment book and use it as a family tool for other school commitments such as chorus, morning announcements, band lessons, or safety advisor duties.
- Students are encouraged to read 20 minutes at day and may sometimes required if a monthly reading calendar is in effect. Families are invited to take advantage of ordering from our economic Scholastic Book Club order form that makes the book selection process more personal for their children. Students will receive order forms on a monthly basis!
- Word Study spelling and sound patterns will be introduced on Mondays and a Quick Check Assessment will be given on Fridays. Students will be exposed to over 30 words each week that all fall under the same pattern. Students will participate in individual and peer work activities at school and are expected to complete assigned homework. The student assessment will be a combination of a short memorized list of words and should be able to identify words that fit the new pattern they have practiced throughout the week as well as a short dictation sentence.
- In math, as in the past, fifth graders use the consumable text and homework books called Math Expressions. At any time, you can access the Math Expressions glossary, background, games and more using the Eduplace websites listed under my website math links. Be sure to ask your child what websites they're exploring in school too!
- In Science, all students will enjoy the benefits of having a different fifth grade teacher to discover through inquiry and learn about "Mixtures and Solutions", "Living Systems", "Earth and Sun", and "Energy Transfer and Waves". Please feel free to contact each teacher directly with any questions or concerns during that specific unit of study. We will have a 20 day class rotation between Social Studies and Science.
- In Social Studies, students will have specific units of study including History, Civics and Government, Economics and Geography. We will have a 20 day class rotation between Social Studies and Science.
- Our Specials for the year are as follows: Day 1 Art, Day 2 Music, Day 3 Guidance, Day 4 Physical Education, and Day 5 will be Library. Please help your student to be prepared with any items they may need for a specific day such as sneakers and library books.
Throughout our year, we participate in S.T.E.A.M. activities embedded within our classes. Please feel free to collect S.T.E.A.M. Items items to help in our experiences!
We also like to celebrate Birthdays and 1/2 Birthdays in our classroom and students get the royal treatment for the day! If you would like your child to bring in a class treat to share, please refer to this document for suggestions that help us remain true to our health initiative and remain Covid friendly!