'Honor Our Elders' Project 2017-18
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to the hundreds of amazing elders who shared their stories!!
Click here to listen to or download the concert songs.
Honor Our Elders is an interview/story-writing/song-writing project with all third, fourth and fifth grade students to culminate in a concert and an illustrated keepsake of the students’ stories.
- In the fall, students conducted interviews of elder relatives and Camp Hill community members.
- In Language Arts class students write narrative stories based on their interviews.
- In Art class, students illustrated their stories to create a keepsake for themselves and their interviewee.
- In Music class, students worked with the composer-in-residence team Two of a Kind and Mrs. Dixon, the music teacher, to write a class song inspired by one interviewee’s life experiences.
- On April 5, 2018 the third, fourth and fifth graders presented an Honor Our Elders concert of their original songs, the project theme song (commissioned through a Lion Foundation grant in 2009), a multi-media presentation of interview video excerpts and a reception honoring the Elders involved in the project. Look below for downloadable mp3 recordings from the concert.
THANK YOU LION FOUNDATION DONORS FOR SPONSORING THIS MEANINGFUL PROJECT!