Welcome to March! Spring sports are underway- hopefully the weather will warm up soon. The 4th marking period begins at the end of the month, and we are a month away from PSSA testing. Below are some announcements and upcoming events at the MS:
- Congratulations to 8th grade student Ryan Lee and 7th grade student James Gaudion who competed in the Middle Atlantic Junior Olympics in swimming. They both had very successful swims over the 4 day meet.
- On Sunday, February 10th the district VFW hosted a banquet to honor Patriot’s Pen award winners Jonah Spotts, Ravi Zumkhawala-Cook, and Katie Melham, the top contestants from our post.
- Our 8th grade science fair participants knocked it out of the park this year at the Capital Area Science and Engineering Fair! Congratulations to the following students: 2nd place winners: Everly Foster, Jonah Spotts, Kate Knepper, Nick Crosby and Clayton Herb. 3ed place winner: Alice Benevides. Special awards were given to Everly Foster- Conodoquinet Creek Watershed Association award and Kate Knepper- Bright Minds Award.
- Our 6th grade Science Fair will take place on March 28th in the Cafeteria at 6:30 p.m. Come and see the results of a year’s long work from our 6th grade science students.
- Middle School Track Club is underway. Over 60 students are participating in our club. We have 4 local meets scheduled for Siebert Park: March 30, April 6thand 27th, and May 4th. We are super excited about our new team T-shirts. Thanks to the Lion Foundation for such a generous grant!
- On Thursday, March 14th, our students will hear a presentation called “Minding Your Mind”. It is an assembly about mental health, reducing stress and anxiety for teens. The assembly is sponsored by our middle school and high school Student Assistance team. The speaker, Andrew Onimus, shared his story of hope as a young person in recovery living with mental illness.
- The Student Assistance Team referral form is now available on the middle school website. Anyone can refer a student to the team.
- Students will hear the Safe 2 Say Something presentation on March 20. This assembly will teach the warning signs and signals of violence and teach the students the various methods they can use to report concerns to a trusted adult, to 911 or to the new tip line at the attorney general’s office.
- Middle School Students are currently in 12 Fitness Stations in PE and will be going into stations for teaching tennis.
- The Lions Archery Shooting Showcase will take place in our Gym on Saturday March 23rd from 12 – 3 p.m. The Showcase will feature a Top Shot Competition, Quiver Design Judging, Archery Games and Club Information. There are prizes for the top 2 archers in each class. The showcase is free and open to all.
- In Mr. Gallaher’s 7thGrade Life Science class students have been all hands-on deck with animals. Recently we completed the earthworm dissection and many students were successful in finding their worms brain. Students had the opportunity to hold squid, crabs, leeches, horseshoe crabs, spiders, scorpions and more in recent laboratory’s in learning about invertebrate animals. The kids are really enjoying it and learning so much.
- The following students went to Construction Wars, an interactive career exploration event, at ABC Keystone in Manheim on March 12: Emily Veit, Kinohi Rosenberger, Olivia Hans, Kat Figueroa, Danny Llewellyn, Evan Knizner, Megan Bock, Joely Micek, Connor Certeza and Calvin Marcus. Students listened to representatives from different construction trades talk about skills needed to be successful in the industry. Each session gave students the opportunity to learn about the trades through an interactive activity. Examples of activities included building a wooden stand, testing electrical circuits, bending sheet metal into a tool box and connecting pipes for plumbing.
- The faculty recently completed chapter 6 in our Mindfulness for Teachers book study. It was about Orchestrating Classroom Dynamics.
- The teachers will participate in an In-Service day this month as well. They began the morning with a Technology Showcase. They will participate in 3 sessions and have time in our Technology Playground. In the afternoon, we have meetings scheduled to prepare for the launch of Safe 2 Say Something, and for the summer building project.
- Congratulations to Scott and Madeline Barrows on the birth of their baby boy Dean Michael on March 5, 2019. Mr. Barrows teaches Math Foundations, grades 6 – 8.
- 3/14: Delayed Opening Schedule
- 3/14: Minding Your Mind Mental Health presentation for students 10 a.m. and for the community 7 p.m.
- 3/18: School Closed- Teacher Professional Learning Day
- 3/20: Safe 2 Say Something Student Presentation
- 3/21: 7th grade Social sponsored by the MSHSA 3 – 5 p.m.
- 3/22: End of the 3rd Marking Period
- 3/23: Archery Showcase- Gym 12 – 3 p.m.
- 3/27: Mentor Group lesson- Excellence
- 3/28: 6th grade Science Fair in the cafeteria 6:30 p.m.
- 3/29: Report cards issued
Yours in education,
Middle School Principal
(717)-901-2450 ex. 2473