Financial Aid - Online Resources
Information from PHEAA:
Finding Last-Minute Scholarships
Please encourage your students to look at these four places to find “Last-Minute Scholarships.”
Below are several webinars on various topics offered by PHEAA:
- College's Financial Aid Department - The school’s Financial Aid Office may know about remaining scholarship opportunities.
- Student's Employer OR Parent's/Guardian's Employer - If the student or parent is working, even part-time, there may be scholarships available from their employer.
- Scholarship Search Engines & Contests - Scholarship search engines and social channels may show late-deadline options and some, like FastWeb.com and the U.S. Department of Labor's CareerOneStop can be filtered by due date. Searches can also be conducted on social channels, using hashtags.
- Local Organizations - Organizations in the student's hometown may award scholarships and are usually less competitive than national awards.
PHEAA Financial Aid Webinar: College Financial Aid process
- The PA Higher Education Assistance Agency offered this webinar in spring, 2020. A link to recording is here: https://pheaa-events500.webex.com/recordingservice/sites/pheaa-events500/recording/26944c54b4404ea2952f8bb471cfadc5. Once the site opens, click the arrow at teh top of the page to download the presentation. Open the download. The presentation begins at the 2 minute, 5 second mark.
- Gain a complete understanding of the financial aid process. Representatives will be providing an overview of how to apply for all types of financial aid, including completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is required to determine eligibility for most student aid programs such as the Pennsylvania State Grant, Federal Pell Grant, institutional offers, and federal student and parent loans.
Covering the Gap
Presented by PHEAA: Covering the Gap: Pieces of the Puzzle to Help Pay Your Education Bill
Since this is the season when families focus on how they will cover education costs, they may be looking for additional information. PHEAA, represented by Linda Pacewicz and Daniel Wray of PA Forward, is offering a series of one-hour webinars on the topic of Covering the Gap. These webinars emphasize best practices (such as seeking grants and scholarships first), reminds families about additional resources (such as payment plans), and touch on private/alternative loans as a last resort. The discussion will also include the basics of credit: what is a credit score, what factors impact a credit score, how can a credit score be improved, etc. Please register below for one or more of these informative presentations and have your questions answered.
Date/Time: August 4th Tuesday, 6:30 pm Eastern Daylight Time
Invitation and registration link: 8/4, Tuesday, 6:30pm webinar
or Call-in Toll Number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Access code: 127 805 5153 Password 1234
Date/Time: August 11th Tuesday, 6:30 pm Eastern Daylight Time
Invitation and registration link: 8/11, Tuesday, 6:30pm webinar
or Call-in Toll Number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Access code: 127 364 9087 Password 1234
Date/Time: August 12th Wednesday, 12:00 Noon Eastern Daylight Time
Invitation and registration link: 8/12 Wednesday, 12:Noon webinar
or Call-in Toll Number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Access code: 127 926 9902 Password 1234
Date/Time: August 18th Tuesday, 6:30 pm Eastern Daylight Time
Invitation and registration link: 8/18 Tuesday, 6:30pm webinar
or Call-in Toll Number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Access code: 127 532 3247 Password 1234
Date/Time: August 25th Tuesday, 6:30 pm Eastern Daylight Time
Invitation and registration link: 8/25 Tuesday, 6:30pm webinar
or Call-in Toll Number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Access code: 127 508 3348 Password 1234
Date/Time: August 26th Wednesday, 12:00 PM/Noon Eastern Daylight Time
Invitation and registration link: 8/26 Wednesday 12:Noon webinar
or Call-in Toll Number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Access code: 127 401 1646 Password 1234
Financial Aid Resources
SCHOLARSHIPS, LOANS AND FINANCIAL AIDwww.fafsa.gov- FAFSA on the web; tips for preparing FAFSA applicationwww.fastweb.com- Free search of over 600,000 scholarships; College searchwww.finaid.org- Scholarship search: loan information; saving for college; military aidwww.studentaid.ed.gov- Easy road to education; preparing, choosing, applying, funding, attending, and repayingwww.educationplanner.org -PHEAA sponsored site on planning and paying for collegewww.mysmartborrowing.org- assists students in making smart decisions abour career choices and paying for college
- Financial aid videos that focus on different subjects of interest.
- FAFSA Tipsheet: